Sports

CAF Executive Member Apologises to Morocco Over AFCON 2025 Final Controversy

CAF Executive Member Apologises to Morocco Over AFCON 2025 Final Controversy

A A senior official of the Confederation of African Football (CAF) has publicly apologised to Morocco’s national team over the chaotic 2025 Africa Cup of Nations final, admitting that the rules were not properly applied and that Morocco was treated unfairly.

Samir Sobha, President of the Mauritius Football Association and a member of CAF’s executive committee, told The Guardian that Morocco deserved an apology following the controversial encounter.

“I want to plead with the Moroccan FA to forgive us for the injustice done to them. The rules have not been respected, as they should have been in this match. They were robbed,” Sobha said.

The final, played in Rabat on January 18, saw Senegal national football team defeat Morocco national football team 1–0 after extra time in a match overshadowed by late drama and disciplinary controversy.

Chaos erupted toward the end of regulation time when Morocco were awarded a penalty following a VAR review. Senegal’s players walked off the pitch in protest, leading to a 14-minute delay before they eventually returned to resume play.

Sobha argued that Senegal should have faced automatic sanctions once they left the field of play.

“It’s clear that after the Senegalese team left the field, all the players should have been sanctioned with a yellow card,” he said, while adding that the result should stand. “What happened has happened,” he noted, dismissing the possibility of the trophy being withdrawn.

When the match resumed, Brahim Díaz missed the resulting penalty, and Senegal secured victory in extra time through a 94th-minute goal by Pape Gueye. Reports indicated that Senegal captain Sadio Mané played a key role in persuading his teammates to return to the pitch.

CAF had earlier condemned what it described as “unacceptable behaviour” during the final and pledged to review match footage through its disciplinary bodies.

Weeks later, however, the sanctions announced by the continental body drew criticism from observers who described them as lenient. Senegal coach Pape Thiaw received a five-match ban and a $100,000 fine, while the Senegal Football Federation was fined $615,000. Players Iliman Ndiaye and Ismaïla Sarr were handed two-match suspensions.

Sobha’s remarks have reignited debate across the continent about officiating standards, disciplinary consistency, and fairness in Africa’s premier football competition.